We can no longer change the document root for your main (primary) domain. This prevents Fantastico from being able to install applications, breaks existing database configurations and causes many other issues. The document root can only be changed on addon domains and subdomains.
Change Document Root for an Addon or Subdomain
To change the document root for an addon or subdomain, you can do the following:
- Log into cPanel.
- In the Domains section, click Addon Domains or Subdomains depending on which you'd like to modify.
- In the Modify Domain section at the bottom of the page, click the icon next to the current document root for the domain you wish to modify.
- In the popup window, enter the new document root and click Change.
Alternatives to Changing the Document Root for the Primary Domain
If you still want the root folder for your primary domain to be something other than public_html, you have two options:
- Change the primary domain name on your account, then add the old primary domain as an addon domain. This way, you can pick the root folder you want for the primary domain/new addon domain; however, the new primary domain will still point to public_html.
- Use mod_rewrite to automatically redirect your website visitors to a new default directory. The new folder name will appear in the URL (i.e. http://domainname.com/subfolder/).